Baked Apples a la Mode with Cinnamon Dulce de Leche Sauce
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 to 3 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 8 baking apples
- 8 teaspoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 can (13.4 ounces) NESTLÉ LA LECHERA Dulce de Leche
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 scoops DREYER'S or EDY'S GRAND Vanilla Ice Cream
- PREHEAT oven to 325° F.
- COMBINE sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
- WASH and core apples (1 to 1 ¼ inches in diameter); remove peel from around the top. Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each apple so it stands easily in the baking pan. Place apples in 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- FILL each cavity with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Top each apple with a teaspoon of butter. Pour water into baking pan; loosely cover with foil, tenting foil so it doesn’t touch apples.
- BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from oven; cool until able to handle. Cut into slices.
- PREPARE sauce while apples bake. Place dulce de leche, remaining 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, milk and vanilla extract in medium saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until warm and smooth. Add additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time if necessary. Cover and keep warm.
- SERVE apple slices on individual plates; top each with a scoop of ice cream and drizzle with cinnamon sauce.